Hydroponic Growing Tips for Beginners
Here are some tips to help get you started!
1) Start growing in soil first. See if you can create and sustain an herb garden before moving into hydroponics. This will allow you to learn the basics while enjoying a successful growing experience. Jumping straight into hydroponics for the laymen can be discouraging do to the higher level of experience/education needed to be successful.
2) Research different hydroponic growing set-ups. I would encourage the first time grower to start with a “deep water culture” growing environment. These are very easy to set-up and require less oversight. Just google “deep water culture growing” via google and its pretty straight forward.
3) Grow lettuce or herbs first. Don’t try growing tomatoes or cucumbers in your first few attempts. These crops grow quicker and require less nutrients, lighting, and babysitting. I know it’s not as sexy but it will still look awesome when everything is growing well.
4) Buy fresh seeds that are not expired. Don’t use seeds that have been sitting around the house or garage. I would also encourage using organic seeds if possible. Research the seed variety requirements for germinating (its more complicated then you might think).
5) Use a growing medium that helps maintain moisture such as coco coir.
6) Research the amount of light needed for what your growing. Generally the more light (lumens) the better. Most people don’